Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

20 March 2011

25 by 25 | The Beginning

This is, quite obviously, my first post.

Want to know more about this blogger? Well, that's what the ABOUT page is for! But chances are that if you've already made it this far you're probably someone we're already acquainted with in real life.

I'm Louise. Some of you know me by my real first name, but I prefer not to use that name online (so if you happen to leave a comment, I'd appreciate it if you didn't mention that my real name is Rumpelstiltskin). And today is a special day for me. I'm 24 years old as of today.

So what? It isn't as exciting as, say, an 18th birthday. I mean, OK, 24 is kind of an interesting number in a mathematical sense, but I'm not big on math. So how should one celebrate turning 24?

By preparing to turn 25, of course.

So I've set myself a list of 25 goals that I'd like to accomplish within the next year or so. Some of them are easier than others. Some of them are more concrete than others. Some of them are more likely to happen than others. But overall I think I've come up with a pretty good sampling of stuff that I can accomplish in a year.

  1. Set up exercise, housework, blogging, hobby, and study schedules -- and stick to them!
  2. Read 75 books.
  3. Write in my journal at least 3 times per month.
  4. Find a full-time job or a second part-time job or an equivalent income-earning activity.
  5. Refresh my French.
  6. Fix up my garden.
  7. Do something artsy/craftsy.
  8. Get good enough at knitting to produce a sweater for the dog.
  9. Take at least 5 "good" photos per week.
  10. Organize digital and physical copies of photos; begin gathering photos from friends and family.
  11. File/recycle all of this old paperwork that's clogging up my desk drawers.
  12. Convince the credit card companies to reduce my APR.
  13. Organize the closets. Properly this time.
  14. Try at least one new recipe per month.
  15. Learn how to bake bread. Edible bread, I should say.
  16. Lose those last 10 pounds (in a healthy way, of course) and maintain that weight.
  17. Properly fix up this current computer or build a new one.
  18. Donate to at least one charity.
  19. Patronize small and/or local businesses often.
  20. Obtain a vintage (or well-made vintage repro) dress.
  21. Figure out how to curl my hair so that it will stay curled for more than 5 minutes.
  22. Learn how to wear liquid eyeliner and/or red lipstick.
  23. Keep nails (fingers and toes) fixed up.
  24. Go somewhere fun for a weekend.
  25. Learn to be genuinely kind.
So... what do you think? No, no, wait a second. If you think my goals are lame, don't tell me. They're personal and even if some of them are vain or unobtainable, they're mine. So if you don't like 'em, just nod and smile and walk away.

Anyway, it's something to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!