Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

26 June 2011

Banana Bread

One of my 25 by 25 goals is to learn how to bake bread.

This does not count.

Despite being nominally identified as "bread" this is not the kind of bread-bread I had in mind when I chose that particular goal.  I was thinking yeast bread.  Or, failing that (a distinctly likely possibility), an artisan flatbread.  This is more like... cake.  A pastry of sorts.

It DOES however count for my goal to try at least one new recipe per month.  Actually, that is the one goal that I've been doing really, really well with so far.  I like to cook.

And I do think this bread is a step in the right direction.  You see, even though I like to cook and I like to think that I'm fairly good at it in a sophomoric kind of way, baking is a whole 'nother animal.  It requires precision.  One must follow baking recipes exactly if one expects success, at least until one is confident enough in one's skills to begin with small experiments.  Cooking isn't like that.  In cooking, one can just whip something up with a few rudimentary ingredients without really having to worry about ratios and and keeping microscopic organisms alive.

Since banana bread doesn't involve yeast, at least I didn't have to worry about that last part.




This recipe is from Daniel over at Casual Kitchen (who modified it from a Better Homes and Gardens recipe).

Verdict:

It turned out really well!  Not particularly pretty, I supposed, but what it lacks in looks it makes up for with taste and texture.  Even Gary ate it, and he normally never eats bananas.

Definitely going to be making this again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!