Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

09 May 2014

30 by 30

I started this blog a little over 3 years ago, on my 24th birthday, with a 25 by 25 list. My 27th birthday came and went a couple of months ago with very little fanfare, but I tend to see my birthday as a "new year" marker -- instead of evaluating successes and failures of the previous year / thinking of improvements and adventures for the coming year on January 1st, I tend to get all goal-oriented on the 1st day of spring (that's right, I have an AWESOME birthday).

The 25 by 25 list wasn't a completely failed experiment. No, I didn't achieve all of those goals, but I did manage some of them and I did work towards others and, overall, I think it was a good way to guide my actions for the year.

(P.S. No, it isn't your imagination that some of those old 25 by 25 list progress posts are missing; I made the decision to majorly tidy up around here after a coworker followed the bread crumbs to my admittedly not-very-anonymous blog, so some of my older stuff has been put away where it can't offend anyone.)

After that, some friends introduced me to Day Zero, a list-making website that is supposed to help you track your long-term goals. The first list I made was the default 101 Things in 1001 Days (which I wrote a little bit about under the Day Zero Project tag). My 1001 days were up as of the day after by birthday this year. How did I do? Well, I "only" accomplished 40 things on my list:


Yeah, even though that isn't even half my original list, I'm still pretty happy about all that cool stuff I did.

Now, though, I'm thinking about the next 3 years of my life (and this blog)... which brings me to my new 30 by 30 project. In another 3 years I'll hit the big three-oh, and there's plenty of stuff I want to accomplish during that time.


Some of these goals are repeats from the previous list, and that's OK. Those are still things I want to do, after all. Some things involve long-term commitments or new habits, so it will take a while for me to feel comfortable counting those goals as accomplished. Some goals are a little silly or frivolous, but percentage-wise I think this list is a little more serious than the old list.

I'm sure I can do better than 40% this time. Maybe not every goal is attainable, but I think most of them are, and I'm certainly willing to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!