Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

18 May 2014

AncestryDNA

My mother generously gifted us both AncestryDNA kits for Christmas last year. It took us far too long to get around to sending our spit off to be analyzed, but I'm so glad we did.

No big surprises here -- we're both fairly familiar with family lore, though we both also have plenty of holes to fill and not a lot of proof about certain stories (see: every white American's hypothesized Native great^n-grandparent). But it is nice to see some actual biological evidence of one's family history.

Here's mine. . . .



The British + Western European isn't surprising at all. I grew up knowing that most of the family was English, French, and German (both sides). The Scandinavian isn't too surprising either; family lore indicates the possibility of Scandinavian roots, plus there has just been a lot of admixing between Scandinavia and the rest of Europe over the centuries. (Regardless, I'm totally going to pretend it is because I'm part Viking and you can't stop me.) Iberian (Spanish) fits in with a certain branch of the Cajun part of my family. I'm a little surprised by all that Irish. I guess that's a branch of the family that I haven't investigated yet!

Besides all that, the system actually matched me up with a distant family member who'd also done the DNA test. We're apparently 2nd cousins 1x removed (her great-grandfather was my great-great-grandfather). Isn't that just amazing? I'm so glad that she's got a detailed family tree available publicly -- now I'll be able to find out so much more about that branch of my family tree.

Here's Gary's. . . .



My husband has even less information about his family history than do I, but the primarily British + Western European ancestry isn't a big surprise for him either. But look at all those "trace" possibilities!

Gary's great-uncle has also done this DNA test (his great-aunt is the one building the family tree), and they were matched right away. Thankfully they're still in contact and we'll be able to "steal" some family tree info from them, too!

I've been working on our family trees off and on for the past few months, and the more I learn the more I want to know.


2 comments:

Debra Ward said...

Wow! This is so cool. I would love to do this.

Marianne said...

I want to do this!

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!