Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

27 November 2014

Thanksgiving

I'm thankful for my job. I work at a decently funded nonprofit, which is practically a miracle in and of itself. I was somehow promoted within 1 year of being hired on there, and regardless of whether I was really ready for that it was an amazing opportunity. And despite not being 100% mentally prepared for that change, I managed to make it work with the help of my officemates, management, and mentors. The majority of the people I work with are excellent coworkers. Furthermore, I generally like what I do and I look forward to going to work almost every workday. For this, I am thankful.

I'm thankful for my husband's job. He works and volunteers at one of the best science museums in the world and he gets to be around some really amazing stuff all the time. A lot of interesting and outstandingly intelligent people work there with him. Many of his coworkers have evolved into friends and mentors. He gets to make good use of his talents and knowledge, and there's a possibility of an even better set of job duties in the future. For this, I am thankful.

I'm thankful for our friends. We have friends who live nearby, with whom we go out for pizza or talk about books and videogames or watch movies. And then there are the far-away friends, whom we don't get to see nearly often enough, but the truest friendships last despite the distance and time gaps. Some friends are parents, with adorable kids who will necessarily grow up to be awesome people because their parents are awesome people. Many friends are childfree like us and our shared freedom is certainly cherished. A few very dear friends have known us since childhood and have for some reason opted to remain friends anyway. For this, I am thankful.

I'm thankful for our family. Perhaps we don't get to see everyone as often as we'd like, but the love we share is still strong. Our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and so on all helped shape us into the people we are today. Our parents, especially, had to put up with quite a lot of mess -- literally and figuratively -- but they managed to survive the raising of us. My mother is one of the smartest and most determined people I know. And I couldn't have asked for a kinder, more wonderful set of in-laws. For this, I am thankful.

I'm thankful for our ancestors. This random assortment of people make up our own little piece of the history of humankind. They were Irish, English, French, German, Austrian, Spanish, and so on; they immigrated because they fled war or wanted adventure or saw economic opportunities or needed to start life afresh; they crossed the ocean in sailing ships or steam ships and they crossed the land in covered wagons, by train, or by foot; they were farmers and carpenters and weavers and watchmakers and roughnecks and preachers and journalists. We have inherited some fascinating stories along with our DNA. For this, I am thankful.

I'm thankful for our home. It isn't ours, technically, but we are lucky enough to have a fairly laid-back landlord -- and even more lucky to share this place with decent neighbors. The dog has his very own back yard. The garden includes a spectacularly self-sufficient and overenthusiastic lemon tree. We have plenty of room and lots of interesting stuff to fill it up with. We have electricity and clean water, which are 2 things that far too many people still have to do without. For this, I am thankful.

I'm thankful for my health and for the health of the people I care about. Neither I nor my husband have suffered any terrible injuries or devastating illnesses over the past few years. We don't take care of our bodies like we should, it's true, but we're both getting better about that. The health insurance our jobs provide gives me peace of mind. And even though our parents and some friends have dealt with health problems recently, they all came out OK (or at least not dead, which is almost the same thing if you look at it from a certain angle). For this, I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!