Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

04 January 2015

Foodies Read 2015

Another reading challenge?! Yes, well, I had a hard time narrowing down exactly which ones I wanted to participate in this year. I think limiting myself to 3 challenges (this one, the TBR Pile Challenge, and the Classics Club) is quite reasonable.

The Foodies Read challenge is all about food-focused books, of course. This is one "genre" (really a collection of genres) that I very much enjoy but that I haven't really focused on in the last couple of years. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who reads cookbooks for fun, not just for the recipes!

I've posted a permanent Foodies Read page where I'll track my progress, but I wanted to write a little bit about why I chose each of the 5 books on my list for this year.

Vegetarian cooking for everyone by Deborah Madison (1997)

This chunkster of a cookbook has fantastic reviews and, from what I can tell, is widely considered a "classic" in the veggie-foodie world. I only just now realized that a revised + expanded edition just came out in 2014, but the edition I have was printed in 2007. Bonus: the chef / author has a really lovely little blog.

Cooking for geeks: Real science, great hacks, and good food by Jeff Potter (2010)

I think this was one of the very first e-books I ever purchased on my Nook Color, a Christmas gift from my mother back in 2009 or 2010. I've flipped through it a few times but for some reason have never actually sat down to just read it. Maybe I'll even try a few recipes.

The road to Dr Pepper, Texas by Karen Wright (2006)

This is the story of the Texas-famous Dr Pepper bottling company in Dublin, Texas (the "Irish Capital" of the state). I bought this book in Dublin several years ago... the sad thing about this is that the Dublin bottling plant is no longer allowed to produce their famous cane sugar Dr Pepper.

French lessons: Adventures with a knife, fork, & corkscrew by Peter Mayle (2001)

I got a full set of Peter Mayle books for super cheap at a library book sale a few years ago, but I haven't read read a single one of them. French Lessons seems right up my alley -- I have a seemingly random fondness for Parisian culture and food.

Relish: My life in the kitchen by Lucy Knisley (2013)

I've seen this graphic novel / memoir on several "Best of 2013" lists, plus it was included on the American Library Association's 2014 Alex Award list (for adult books that appeal to teens). It's a comic / foodie bio / coming of age tale / cookbook.

Legend:
Blue - Cookbooks
Green - History
Red - Memoirs

Again, keep an eye on my Foodies Read page for updates as the year progresses.

2 comments:

Reno said...

This is one of three year long reading challenges I'll be participating in this year also :) Cooking for Geeks and Relish sound good; I'll have to check them out!

Louise said...

Oh hooray! I'm really looking forward to it.

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!