Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

13 May 2015

Foodies Read | French Lessons by Peter Mayle

French Lessons: Adventures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew by Peter Mayle | Vintage Books, a division of Random House | April 2002 | Paperback $15.00

★ ★ ★ 


It didn't live up to my high expectations, but I'm glad I gave this book a try anyway.

I really enjoyed Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence, so I assumed that French Lessons would be just as (if not more) delicious. Although I moderately enjoyed reading it, it didn't really pull me in. I just didn't get that strong feeling of atmosphere that I so enjoyed in the previous book.

I also expected to be drooling, to be desperately wishing that the stuff on my lunch plate could magically morph into whatever was being described in the book, but again... this book didn't provoke the kind of strong feelings or imaginary tastes that I was hoping for.

Also, by the end of the book every story started to seem a little formulaic. Bumbling but well-meaning foodie Englishman goes to some place in France that is famous for some sort of odd French food or food-related event, usually with at least one sort of odd French person as nominal guide, just to try said food. There's nothing particularly wrong with this formula -- most of the stories are quite entertaining and Mayle does have a way of writing that makes the reader feel like he's actually a good friend -- but this is not really a book that I can sit down with and just read all the way through without getting a little bored.

I don't want to sound too negative about this book. After all, 3 stars is actually a decent rating! I generally liked it and I wish I could find my paperback copy (I started reading it and then lost it somewhere, so ended up finishing with a library e-book instead). All in all it is a fairly enjoyable read and I'm happy to have tried it as part of my Foodies Read challenge this year.

Publication information: Mayle, Peter. French Lessons: Adventures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew. New York: Vintage Books, 2002. Print.

Source: Public library used book sale; public library e-book platform Overdrive.

Disclaimer: I am not compensated, monetarily or otherwise, for reviews of books or other products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!