Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

15 June 2015

It's June?

It's June (halfway through the year), so how are your reading challenges etc. going?

First, for my Goodreads Challenge, I signed up to read 80 books this year. Here's where I'm at as of right now:



Not too shabby -- I'm nearly on track to meet this goal by the end of the year.

Back in March 2014 I signed up for the Classics Club. I'm supposed to read 50 classic books over the course of 5 years. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't gotten very far with this; so far this year I've only read 1 book for this challenge:
  1. Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore
I also signed up for the TBR Pile Challenge this year. I have a list of 12 books that I'm supposed to finish before 2016. So far I've only read 5, so I'm quite behind!
  1. The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel - review coming soon
  2. The Diviners by Libba Bray
  3. Freeman by Leonard Pitts, Jr.
  4. Reason for Hope by Jane Goodall
  5. A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle
I'm also doing the Foodies Read Challenge right now. Thankfully I only signed up for 5 books, so even though I've only read 2 titles on this list so far I don't feel like I'm too far behind!
  1. French Lessons by Peter Mayle
  2. Relish by Lucy Knisley
Hm, based on the above it looks like I haven't done much reading this year at all -- but I know that's not true. One thing I have been concentrating on is reading + reviewing ARCs in a timely manner this year. Here are the brand-new books that have come across my desk so far in 2015:
  1. A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab
  2. The Devil You Know by Trish Doller
  3. The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs
  4. Galileo's Middle Finger by Alice Dreger
  5. The Game of Love & Death by Martha Brockenbrough
  6. Headstrong by Rachel Swaby
  7. Illusionarium by Heather Dixon
  8. The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins - review coming soon; DNF
  9. The Next Species by Michael Tennesen
  10. Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures by Jackson Pearce and Maggie Stiefvater
  11. Proof of Forever by Lexa Hillyer
  12. Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby
  13. This is What You Just Put in Your Mouth by Patrick Di Justo
  14. Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
  15. The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma
  16. We Are Pirates by Daniel Handler
  17. Wonder at the Edge of the World by Nicole Helget
Those are just the ones I've already reviewed -- there are just a few more in the pipeline, as well.
That said, I don't think I'm going to continue concentrating on reviewing new / upcoming titles for the next few months. That's not to say I won't do any at all! There are several books that are soon to be published that I'm hoping to get review copies of. But I think I need to concentrate on the books that I promised myself I would read this year. Plus there's that whole Dewey Decimal Project thing.

There's no point in always chasing the next big thing if by doing that I'm taking too much time away from what I wanted to do in the first place, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!