We got prequalified and found a real estate agent at the end of June and started researching all the stuff we'll need to know to find, purchase, and maintain a house.
We have only a few "needs" (things we can't compromise on) but they're very specific....
- Location: Needs to be well-placed for a decent commute for both of us, even though we work in different cities.
- Location: No flood zones or fault lines.
- Structure: We must have a safe, well-fenced backyard for our dog.
- Structure: Needs to be pretty much move-in ready and will last for a while without any major repairs, meaning the roof, HVAC, water heater, etc. need to be in good condition.
- Other: We don't currently own any appliances, so either those need to be included or the price needs to leave room for us to purchase our own.
- Structure: A back patio or deck, preferably covered.
- Structure: A 3-car garage or a 2-car garage large enough for our two big vehicles + storage space for things like the lawnmower or bicycles.
- Structure: Single level.
- Location: Not too close to a school, hospital, or other high-traffic sort of thing.
We're supposed to go and do our first viewings (and meet our agent in person for the first time) tomorrow afternoon.
Wish us luck!