Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

04 November 2015

Fickle attention span

Does anyone else out there go through hobby phases?

My "usual" hobby (if by that we mean that if you surprise me during my free time, there's a 50% chance I'll be doing this) is obviously reading. As evidenced by this blog being mostly bookish in nature.

But there's lots of other stuff I like to spend my free time doing... and never enough hours in the day! In order to keep from going completely bonkers, my brain's coping strategy seems to be phases of obsession on only 1 or 2 hobbies at a time.

If I were to sign up for some new social network and wanted to look as impressive/crazy as possible, I'd list all of the following as hobbies:
  • Reading
  • Writing
  • Painting
  • Knitting
  • Sewing
  • Cooking
  • Theology
  • Natural sciences
  • Makeup and beauty products
  • Genealogy
  • Video games

See what I mean? There are not enough hours in a day to pay attention to all of these things. There are not enough hours in an eternity for me to be able to pay attention to all of these things to my satisfaction. Alas! Such is life.

Instead, I tend to focus on just a couple of these things at a time over 2 - 3 months. It's actually been over a year since I've done any knitting, but I still think of myself as a "knitter" for some reason. I haven't even finished unpacking my sewing room in our new house yet, but you can pry my fabric stash from my cold, dead hands. (And I will come back from the dead to haunt you, you grave-thieving bastard.)

So if you see me go quite on this blog or in a particular hobby-focused webosphere for a while? I probably haven't died yet (so stay away from my fabric stash)... I'm just going through another phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!