Please note: This blog is now hosted at LoneStarOnALark.com
this backup blog will not remain as-is for very long, so please visit the new site instead!

05 March 2016

MMC | The Wizard of Oz



I finally got around to watching another selection from the Movie Musicals Challenge!

I'm so behind on this challenge already... and it doesn't help that right now, I'm trying to manage a behind-the-scenes blog move. So, I'll be brief with this post.

I chose to watch The Wizard of Oz because I got a copy on DVD as a gift this past Christmas, along with a set of the books by L. Frank Baum. (I'm thinking of doing a read-along or something like that with them soon, but don't hold me to it.)

I've seen the movie many times before, of course, and it's something of a comfort-watch for me now. I watched part of it the night that our cat died a couple of months ago. I was too torn up to sleep, but there was something so calming about listening to Judy Garland sing "Over the Rainbow"... it was just what I needed at the time.

This time I did it properly and watched the whole thing, popcorn and root beer in hand. I admit that I sang along just a little bit. (Um. Maybe a lot. Maybe every word?) And don't let Gary fool you -- he sang along just a little bit, too. He was playing some sort of violent video game in the other room, but he was still enjoying the movie from afar. It's just one of those movies that grabs you like that, I guess!

It's interesting, the things you see when you rewatch an old favorite again after a gap of a couple of years. I never noticed before how mature Dorothy looks for her supposed age -- of course, Judy was about 16 years old at the time. Apparently she was forced to stick to an abusively strict diet and wear a special corset to help her look more child-like. Some of the acting and staging is so exaggerated as to be silly, but of course movies were still being made like modified stage plays back in the 1930's.



But let's be honest, Toto is the real star of this show!

Have you watched The Wizard of Oz lately, or read the book(s)? Do you have any favorite scenes?


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Comments are subject to moderation, but don't let that scare you off!